Health Benefits Of Dark Chocolate
- Dark chocolate is loaded with nutrients that could positively affect your health. Made of cocoa, it’s one of the best antioxidants on the planet. Studies have shown that dark chocolate can improve health and lower the risk of heart diseases.
- Dark chocolate with a high cocoa content is quite nutritious. It’s loaded with a high amount of fiber and minerals.
- It is also a powerful source of antioxidants. ORAC- oxygen radical absorbance capacity is the measure of antioxidants in food. Raw, unprocessed cocoa is among the highest rating foods that have been tested. Dark chocolate is loaded with organic compounds that are biologically active and function as antioxidants.
- Dark chocolate may improve blood flow and lower blood pressure. There are many controllers’ trials that show cocoa and dark chocolate can improve blood flow and lower blood pressure; but the effects are usually mild, although the study showed no effect in a certain group of people.
- It may lower the risk of cardiovascular disease. Compounds in dark chocolate appear to be highly productive against oxidation of LDL. In the long term, it should cause less cholesterol to lodge in the arteries hence reduced risk of heart disease.
- Dark chocolate may protect your skin against the sun. The bioactive compounds in it may be great for your skin. The flavonols can protect against Sun induced damage, increase blood flow to the skin and increase skin density and hydration. If you are planning a beach vacation, consider looking up dark chocolate in the preceding weeks or months.
- Lastly, dark chocolate may improve the brain functions. A study by volunteers showed that five days of chocolate consumption increase the blood flow to the brain. Cocoa may also increase cognitive function in elderly people with mental impairments.
- It also increases verbal fluency and several risk factors for disease. Cocoa also contains stimulant substances like caffeine and the bromine which can explain the improved brain function especially though short term.
There is considerably more benefit of consuming the chocolate, but it does not mean you should go out there and consume tons of it every day. At the end of the day it is still packed with calories; perhaps a piece or two after dinner.