Great and interesting video on the coco producing nation Ivory Coast.
Easy, delicious chocolate cake recipe. Here’s a great recipe for easy chocolate cake. Great for any occasion and always loved by everyone. Once made, decorate it however you like; I like to add smarties and other chocolates.
Baking time: 1 hour and 30 mins.
For the cake
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 350g/12½oz caster sugar
- 85g/3oz cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 free-range eggs
- 250ml/9fl oz milk
- 125ml/4½fl oz vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml/9fl oz boiling water
For the chocolate icing
- 200g/7oz plain chocolate
- 200ml/7fl oz double cream
Once you’ve got all your ingredients prepared, start baking.
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease and line two 20cm/8in sandwich cake tins.
For the mixture, place all of the cake ingredients, except the boiling water, into a large mixing bowl. Beat the mixture with whisk until smooth with no bumps.
Add the boiling water to the mixture, a little at a time, until smooth. (The mixture will now be very liquid.)
Divide the batter between the sandwich tins and bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes, or until a knife in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool completely, still in their tins, before icing.
For the chocolate icing, heat the chocolate and cream in a saucepan over a very low heat until the chocolate melts. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk the mixture until smooth, glossy and thickened. Set aside to cool for 1-2 hours, or until thick enough to spread over.
Run a round-bladed knife around the inside of the tins to loosen the cakes. Carefully remove them from the tins.
Spread a little chocolate icing over the top of one of the chocolate cakes, then carefully top with the other cake.
Transfer the cakes to a serving plate and ice the cake all over with the chocolate icing, using a palette knife.
- Decorate and enjoy!
Baking is a great bonding experience with friends, children and cousins. It really brings the family together; have fun!
Industries in Nigeria and the emerging markets generally, differs quite a lot from the developed world – the fact that there is no infrastructure and massive infrastructure gaps is the most basic sample of this.
What’s also different is the fact that industries that are pushed by the west – usually consumer goods driven, such as eCommerce and FMCG – see a lot of over-capacity built in them.
This is done to prepare for the “mythical African consumer” when the massive demand for these services comes, but also to build high entry barriers into the sectors for other foreigners looking to invest in the continent.
Bertrams Lukstins covers this quite well in the “Investing in Nigeria” report, this is the main framework:
- View the whole value chain for it’s efficiency – this is to identify infrastructure gaps.
- Evaluate the inefficiencies – are they really unfavorable for the industry?
- Opportunities – do the gaps provide opportunities to build entry barriers? To evolve the industry and build new solutions?
- The different elements in the chain – are they vulnerable to other elements of the overall Nigerian investment landscape?
Another important thing to consider when evaluating Nigerian industries is tariffs.
Many industries, such as the domestic rice industry, are based purely on the import tariffs that the federal government of Nigeria have put in place. The question to ask is what drivers are driving the industry growth.
A good industry, such as the cassava industry, will grow naturally due to the domestic landscape and the domestic demand – not the governments imposed tariffs.
The building industry is one of the fastest growing industries and with this growth; the need for waste control is becoming increasingly important for all stakeholders in the sector.
Here are the 5 things you need to know for waste control in the building industry;
- Managing your waste – One major factor to consider in waste control involves ways to manage your waste. Set aside an area for storing materials and waste and have different containers for different types of waste. Be sure to choose an area which is secure and safe from the elements and from vandalism.
- Minimising and disposing of waste – There are various ways of minimizing and disposing of waste. Ways of minimizing waste can include selecting products which have minimal packaging and products which offer potential to minimize waste. When disposing your waste it is important to find the nearest waste sites to save on time and transport costs. Consider what methods you would like to use in disposing of liquid wastes and lubricants.
- Organizing your waste – Organizing your waste is important to allow for proper disposal. Consider the materials on use at the site; can some of the waste materials be reused to reduce waste? Find out whether some of the surplus materials can be returned to the supplier or can be sold or used in another project. Once your waste has been organized and classified, it is important to create categories and colour codes for proper disposal.
- Training and proper communication – It is important that you ensure all personnel are properly trained. Once the waste control plans are drawn up, it is important to share this plan with all staff and distribute roles and responsibilities.
- Upholding laws – Ensure all waste control and management laws are followed by the regulatory bodies to avoid hefty fine and penalties.
These 5 tips are important when carrying out proper waste control in the building industry.
Health Benefits Of Dark Chocolate
- Dark chocolate is loaded with nutrients that could positively affect your health. Made of cocoa, it’s one of the best antioxidants on the planet. Studies have shown that dark chocolate can improve health and lower the risk of heart diseases.
- Dark chocolate with a high cocoa content is quite nutritious. It’s loaded with a high amount of fiber and minerals.
- It is also a powerful source of antioxidants. ORAC- oxygen radical absorbance capacity is the measure of antioxidants in food. Raw, unprocessed cocoa is among the highest rating foods that have been tested. Dark chocolate is loaded with organic compounds that are biologically active and function as antioxidants.
- Dark chocolate may improve blood flow and lower blood pressure. There are many controllers’ trials that show cocoa and dark chocolate can improve blood flow and lower blood pressure; but the effects are usually mild, although the study showed no effect in a certain group of people.
- It may lower the risk of cardiovascular disease. Compounds in dark chocolate appear to be highly productive against oxidation of LDL. In the long term, it should cause less cholesterol to lodge in the arteries hence reduced risk of heart disease.
- Dark chocolate may protect your skin against the sun. The bioactive compounds in it may be great for your skin. The flavonols can protect against Sun induced damage, increase blood flow to the skin and increase skin density and hydration. If you are planning a beach vacation, consider looking up dark chocolate in the preceding weeks or months.
- Lastly, dark chocolate may improve the brain functions. A study by volunteers showed that five days of chocolate consumption increase the blood flow to the brain. Cocoa may also increase cognitive function in elderly people with mental impairments.
- It also increases verbal fluency and several risk factors for disease. Cocoa also contains stimulant substances like caffeine and the bromine which can explain the improved brain function especially though short term.
There is considerably more benefit of consuming the chocolate, but it does not mean you should go out there and consume tons of it every day. At the end of the day it is still packed with calories; perhaps a piece or two after dinner.
This is the fascinating story on How Chocolate is Made
Watch this scrumptious video on how our favourite sweet is made from hot wet forests to your local corner shop. Any chocolate lover will adore this informative video. Enjoy
Coco has been grown in Ghana for almost a century, since the first plant was introduced there. And most people may never realize this, but perhaps your favourite brand of chocolate bar has its origins in Ghana! Although there are other countries and regions that produce coco, the quality of Ghana’s coco has been ranked number one for many years. Even famous chocolate brands like Cadburys import a huge amount of coco from this West African region.
Below are some of the basic things you should know about Coco in Ghana;
- Ghana is a country in West Africa, whose climate is very conducive for the growing of coco. The country experiences the right amount of rainfall that helps the plant grow, and ripen as it ought to.
- Coco is Ghana’s main cash crop, and the second biggest income earner in the country. The top income earner is Gold.
- 90% of all coco grown in the country is grown in small scale farms owned by peasants. There are no large farms, the kind that are common in the West and developed nations.
- Ghana is only second to Ivory Coast, in terms of being the global leader of coco production. Both countries lie in the same geographical zone, which perhaps explains why they are both the leading producers of coco.
- The coco industry has employed about 3.2 million men and women, either as farmers, harvesters, transporters, importers, and so on so forth.
- Most of the coco produced in Ghana ends up in Europe, where major companies use it to manufacture Chocolate bars.
- Recently, coco farmers have embraced technological advancements, to help them produce more and attend to their farms more easily.
Coco is a major cash crop in Ghana, and the next time you take that sweet bite of your favorite chocolate bar, chances are that its origin is from Ghana!
Plants in general play a crucial role in helping humans not just get their day to day food, but also in helping make the environment cleaner. The good thing is that you can start small; you don’t have to wait till you have a big garden or farm, in order to plant your favorite crops. Below are some of the best and easiest crops that you can plant at your home;
- Sweet Corns; sweet corns are small; they mature fast, and are very ideal for growing in limited spaced, like a home garden. Home grown sweet corns are fresher, sweeter, and tastier, than anything you’d possibly buy from a market.
- Vegetables; vegetables are also ideal plants to plant in your home. They include spinaches, cucumbers, corianders, and even onions. These are not only fast growing and maturing crops; they also require little or no human day to day attention once you have planted them.
- Aloe Vera; Aloe Vera has many medicinal benefits to humans, and can be grown around the home. Besides helping purify the air, they can also be used to help treat burns and cuts, thanks to their succulent by products known for their medicinal efficacies.
- Fruits; many fruits take a year or so before they mature, and ripen. You can start small, by planting some passion fruit crops, grafted mangoes that mature in 2 years or so, water melons, and so on so forth. Fruits not only provide a quick snack around the homestead; their nutritional value is very central in the general good health of humans.
Planting some of the above crops around your home will not just help you save money you’d have spent on vegetables and fruits; it is also a greatly fulfilling exercise that rejuvenates the mind.
Having a home comes with responsibilities. One has to maintain cleanliness and also the management of waste products. Cleaning and dusting your home is an easy task. Apart from letting your home look beautiful and tidy one is also protecting the good health of everyone else in the house. When cleaning, one should have disposable bins or trays for rubbish. Being able to recycle and reuse is a step to being eco friendly.
- Reducing excess paper– a huge amount of the waste generated in homes comprises of polythene papers, or other hardcopy papers. Hundreds of advertising agencies deliver mails every day, thus littering our homes. One can be able to reduce on the amount of paper they throw away by subscribing to marketing lists online. In case of unwanted mail, one can easily unsubscribe to getting their letters. This is as easy as contacting the company in question or sending an email. Reducing the flow of junk mail will help in conserving natural resources, save landfill space and save you time and money with a top house clearance london.
- Reducing packaging waste– almost all items are packaged. One can reduce the amount of packaging waste by purchasing concentrates and diluting them with water in reusable containers. Use reusable cloth bags so that you do not have to use plastic or paper. Over packaged products cost more than less packaged ones. This makes you save more money.
- Eliminate mercury products– mercury is found in products like cooking thermometers, steam-iron, tilt switches, shut-off, neon lamps among many more. One can be able to purchase non mercury products. This is because mercury is highly poisonous, toxic, and it is against the law to throw away mercury in the garbage. Efforts like this lower mercury emission levels from waste disposals.
Being able to tidy your home once or twice a week gives room to recycling. This is a beneficial process that is safe and less costly.
Read More on http://www.quickwasters.co.uk
The crop chocolate is created exotic locations that have been widely recognized as the refreshment pick also prior to the discovery of coffee and also tea. The cocoa being a necessary requisite in confectionary trade is an excellent item to expand business with.
These are some of the easy to follow steps to start on with your cacao ranch sector.
The business agriculture of cocoa is a trade that is currently being commonly thought about due to the measurement of this crop’s produce to the confectionary market in addition to any other food areas. Worldwide, it is a thing that is mainly eaten. This is the prime reason that business for cocoa farming is being enhanced up.
Beginning a Chocolate Farm
In starting a cacao vineyard, an array of aspects have to be taken into consideration such as the environment of the area, typical rainfall each millimeter, temperature level, humidity, and sort of dirt as well as the appropriate variety of planting material. Potting blend and also sort of sowing have to be well thought-out as well. Plus the breeding and the chocolate plant’s after treatment.
Rain could really be supplemented with contemporary watering in cases of dry months.
Nevertheless, it is of important necessity that rainfall need to be present at one thousand 2 hundred and also fifty to three thousand millimeters per annum. The dried up period should not be further compared to 3 months. The positive temperature might range thirty to thirty two levels Celsius. Humidity has to be taken in factor to consider as well because of the fact that over humidified areas may assist the spread of fungus conditions that may modify the development of the cacao crop and the storage and drying of maybe at risked additionally. Chocolate trees are further susceptible compared to other tropical plants to moisture tension. A range of dirt types could be positive to the chocolate plant. The soil ought to be such as enabling uncomplicated accessibility of roots able of retaining moisture throughout summers. Clay loams as well as sandy loams are additionally proper.
In the variety of the proper planting product, cacao can be multiplied right through seeds or by vegetative fashion. Meant for elevating seed startings, seeds of full-grown husks are extracted from lofty generating mommy plants which ought to generate one hundred hulls each year. Subsequent to 7 days of harvest, naturally, the seeds lose its stability. Appropriate storage space is the vital to prevent this from happening. The potting combination and sort of sowing have to consist of ranch backyard manure, sand and also dirt in identical magnitude to propagate the cocoa seedlings. Bear in mind that the most effective time to plant seeds in the baby room is throughout the month of December to January. On the other hand, vegetative breeding is a substantial range of manufacturing of superior growing product throughout budding as well as implanting.